Keeping Up With Bob and Karen

Keeping Up With Bob and Karen

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Flying Foxes aka Fruit Bats

Karen and I were on a run yesterday here in a suburb called Cooper's Plains. Karen asked me if I could smell a sewer type odor. I said no not really. There was quite a fuss going on in the treees that I assumed were birds. We looked more closely and realized the trees were full of megabats called flying foxes or fruit bats. They are big, I mean real big. I figure they had a wing span of about 60 cm or more. Amazingingly enough, they squabble in the trees with their mates. The bad odor was their droppings which apparently is very acidic and can take the paint off your car. Apparently they are great pollinators and of course they love to eat fruit of all sorts. They kept Karen and I entertained for a few hours yesterday.
















1 comment: