Keeping Up With Bob and Karen

Keeping Up With Bob and Karen

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Spring Creeks in New Zealand

Word had it that aroun a small town on the west coast there were spring creeks.  We knew we had to search for a historic crash site and we did find the crash site and we fished all around the area. It was a lot of fun camping at a historic site. We arrived at about 8 pm after fishing a beautiful stream called the Waitaku River near Reefton for 5 hours and not seeing a fish. A long walk on the way back on a track told us why. Truck after truck parked upstream of us. The browns were hiding but when we arrived at our spring creek there were three browns feeding right against the shore. The 4 weight and an elk hair caddis enticed the biggest of the browns to take. It was very cool watching the big lips engulf the offering. Once the brown realized it was hooked, some real fun occurred. The brown went for the vegetation in the river and I realized that I was going to have to get into the stream to land my trophy. Bad move because the ground was straight mushy mud and I sunk. I had my sandles on and the river ate one of them. Damn. The brown scooted for the far shore and after I got my fly line out of the cabbage I was able to land him minus my sandle which I tried to find but no dice. What a start to fishing spring creeks. Karen and I had to laugh at my fortune or misfortune depending on how we looked at the moment that just occurred.


Our camping spot beside a historic site where the first successful flight across the Tasman Sea ended. Amazingly enough there were no sand flies. A nice break from these nasty critters.

A beautiful spring creek with lots of shore to wander. Sight fishing was ok but the evening rise was outstanding.



A red size 14 copper john got this guy! My go to dropper!


The commerative plaque at the landing site of the first successful flight across the Tasman starting at Sydney.



An elk hair caddis at dusk and kaboom, a nice brown for Karen.



The evening rise was awesome.


These signs are everywhere. Apparently there is poison in the forests to control pests like possums. Unfortunately the poison kills birds, dogs and anything else that ingests it. Many New Zealanders are against the poison. There are signs everywhere against the poison control.

Trees along the west coast. I wounder which direction the wind is blowing?








No comments:

Post a Comment